How to Handle a Complaint Against a Landlord or Tenant

Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 September 2013 12:16

Residential Landlord-Tenant Dispute:  In a 1985 decision (State v. Schwab), the Washington Supreme Court ruled that a violation of the Landlord-Tenant Act is not a per se violation of Washington State's Consumer Protection Act.

As a result, the Attorney General's Office Consumer Protection Division is prohibited from acting as a private attorney on an isolated residential landlord-tenant complaint.

If your complaint demands immediate legal action, you should consider private legal action in Small Claims Court (no attorney necessary) if your claim is under $4,000. If your complaint involves more than $4,000, you should seek a private attorney. You might also consider arbitration.