About PFD

Print
Last Updated on Saturday, 19 April 2014 09:51

Pullman Fire Department
Department Overview

 

Pullman Fire Department is a combination department comprised of full-time professional and reserve firefighters engaging in the performance of fire suppression and emergency medical services. Fire suppression is provided to all properties within the city limits of Pullman including Washington State University. Department Paramedics and Emergency Medical Technicians provide ambulance service to the city and to 450 square miles of rural area including the towns of Johnson, Albion, and Palouse.


History

The Pullman Fire Department was formed July 23, 1890, after "disastrous fires had levelled the city three times in the six years previous". "Rescue Hook and Ladder Company No. 1" was organized as an auxillary of the Pullman Hose Company. The first hook and ladder truck was a hand-drawn vehicle. The trucks ladders could be extended "to the top of the highest buildings in town in an incredibly short time" per an early newspaper account.


WSU Fire Department History

From Washington State Magazine, Winter 2003/04
By Pat Caraher
Photography by Shelly Hanks
According to a Pullman Herald account, student firemen at Washington State College date back to 1922-23, "when nine students manned the pumps." In the early '20s they lived in a metal shed attached to the rear of College Hall. In response to calls, they pulled a rickshaw-like fire cart across campus lawns and fields.

The college purchased its first fire truck, a Mitchell, in 1925, about the time the fire station was being established in a mechanical building on the present site of Daggy Hall-at the top of Engineering Hill. The current three-bay station across from the Compton Union Building was built in 1962.

The campus has experienced a number of significant fires. In the spring of 1949, a major portion of a wing of North House, one of the two-story World War II-vintage student residence halls known on campus as "Cardboard Castle," burned down.

WSU Football Stadium FireAn April 4, 1970 blaze destroyed 10,000 seats in the south grandstands at Rogers Field-now Martin Stadium-causing nearly $300,000 damage. The arson fire occurred during spring vacation, when only four firemen were on duty. The wood grandstands burned for three hours. That blaze was the impetus for adding full time staff to the department to provide for increased staffing coverage round the clock.

More than 400 students have supported their education as WSU firefighters. The WSU Fire Department was discontinued in May 2005 when the City of Pullman took over fire suppression and ambulance transport responsibilities.


Mission Statement

The Pullman Fire Department is committed to the preservation of life, property and the environment by meeting the public safety and welfare needs of our diverse community, and maintaining the highest standards of professional service through continued training and education.


Vision Statements


Value Statements


Return to the Pullman Fire home page