Updated: Man Rescued from Smoky Apartment Fire

Last Updated on Friday, 27 October 2017 19:12

UPDATED at 4:56PM (original story below)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                       Tony Nuttman, Dep Fire Marshal
Thursday, October 27, 2016                                     Mike Heston, Fire Chief

Release #2 Updated information on Larry Street Fire with injury

          PULLMAN—A Pullman fire investigator said there was at least $60,000 damage in  an apartment fire this morning at 150 NW Larry.

          Deputy Fire Marshal Tony Nuttman worked with police fire investigator, Officer Chris Engle, throughout the morning at the residence.   He said they eliminated several potential causes but at this time the cause is still undetermined.

          Officers checked with Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane this afternoon and the 57-year-old male victim in the fire, who was treated for smoke inhalation, is still in critical condition.




FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                              Lt. Andrew Howell, Incident commander
Thursday, October 27, 2016                            Chief Mike Heston


          PULLMAN—A 57-year-old Pullman man was pulled from an apartment filled with smoke Thursday morning after a neighbor heard a smoke alarm  going off and called authorities.

          Pullman fire crews responded to the triplex apartment unit at 150 NW Larry around 3:45 am after a person, living across the street from the unit, heard a smoke alarm and called 911.    Lt. Andrew Howell said when they arrived they found the window to the downstairs apartment cracked and hazed over.  He said they used their thermal imaging camera which showed there was a fire in the unit.    As crews broke in the door, they found the male victim lying on the floor near the doorway.

          Firefighters pulled the man out of the unit and immediately began medical treatment at the scene and then rushed him to Pullman Regional Hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation.  He was later transferred to Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane.

          The fire was confined to the one downstairs apartment unit in a building that appeared to be at one time a single family home.  Most of the fire damage was confined to a couch near the front of the unit but there was some smoke and water damage.  Residents of the other two units were awakened by fire and police officers upon arrival and evacuated but there was no damage to the other two apartments.

          A combined fire and police investigation team was on the scene looking into the cause of the fire.   It was still too early in the investigation to pinpoint the cause or determine the extent of damage.