Street Use Permits

Last Updated on Thursday, 19 September 2013 16:57

Interested in planning a 5K race as a fundraiser for your favorite cause? Wanting to plan a parade or a march? Depending upon the route your event would like to use, requirements for permits and insurance will vary. Read below for more information and links to the appropriate application forms. running

City of Pullman Streets and/or Sidewalks: Per Pullman City Code, Chapter 11.32, it is unlawful for any person or persons to hold any public meeting or public event upon any street or alley, or an event that will obstruct any sidewalk, without first obtaining a permit to do so. Any person, company, or organization wishing to use a portion of a street, sidewalk, alley, or public place for a public meeting or event shall apply in writing prior to the planned use to the Chief of Police for permission. Upon review of the application, the Chief of Police may grant a permit for use of the street, sidewalk, alley, or public place if it is found that doing so will not unduly obstruct either automobile or pedestrian traffic or endanger the safety of the public. A written permit or denial will be issued to the applicant(s), and any approved permits will be made available to the public. Violation of this chapter of City Code can result in a civil infraction and a $500 fine. Download a fill-in PDF Street Use Permit Application by clicking here.

City of Pullman City Trail System:  To use the City Trail System, you need to complete a City of Pullman Special Event Permit application.  This form can be found on the City Parks & Recreation Department website by clicking here.

Bill Chipman Memorial Trail:  To use the Bill Chipman Memorial Trail that runs between Pullman and Moscow, the majority of the trail is under the management of the Whitman County Parks & Recreation Department, and they are responsible for approving or denying any special events utilizing the trail.  More information can be obtained by phone at 509-397-6238 or by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Whitman County requires at least 30 days notice for events, and there is a registration fee as well as an insurance requirement. Additionally, there is a portion of the trail that is managed by the City of Pullman Parks & Recreation Department, so you would also need to submit the City of Pullman Special Event Permit application as described above.

Route on WSU Campus: For event routes occurring on WSU property/streets, you will need to contact with the WSU Police Department at 509-335-8548 to coordinate the use of campus streets and facilities. 

NOISE:  Regardless of whether an event is held on a City street or on WSU campus, if you anticipate there being excessive noise levels (due to the number of participants) or if there will be amplified noise from starting guns, megaphones, speakers and/or music as part of your event, you may need to request a noise variance from the Chief of Police. Download a fill-in PDF Noise Variance Application by clicking here

INSURANCE: City of Pullman Street Use Permits (City streets), City of Pullman Special Event Permits (City trail system), and the Whitman County Special Event Permits (Bill Chipman Memorial Trail) all require event organizers to provide special event liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 prior to approval of the event.  Contact your insurance agent for more information on obtaining special event insurance.  For WSU student organizations, you can contact Brian Shuffield, Director of Student Involvement & Leadership, for more information on how your organization can obtain the appropriate insurance for your event.   

If you have more questions about hosting your event or your proposed event route, please do not hesitate to contact the Pullman Police Department at (509) 334-0802 or by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by clicking here