Library Board of Trustees
MembershipFive (5) members appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. There is an ex-officio member of the Library Board who is a member of the City Council.
Trustees shall be appointed to fill a term of five (5) consecutive years or the remainder of an unexpired term. Trustees may serve no more than two (2) consecutive terms.
3rd Wednesday of each month at 3p.m. in Neill Public Library
It shall be the responsibility of the Library Board to have supervision and care of all library property; employ the library director and assistants as necessary; prescribe duties, fix compensation and remove for cause; submit a budget annually to City Council for approval; have control over library finances; create and adopt bylaws, rules and regulations for board guidance and government of the library; lease or purchase land for a library building; lease, purchase or construct a library building; acquire other property as needed for a building; accept gifts to the library; purchase books, periodicals, maps and supplies for the library; other acts necessary for the orderly and efficient management and control of the library.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend monthly meetings to review library services and operations, and to adopt policies for the functioning of the library.
- Examine and evaluate the library's monthly financial report and annual audit to assess if service needs are being met.
- Regularly establish and evaluate a strategic plan and general direction for the library.
- Elect officers and participate on various committees.
- Authorize the director to take specific actions, or conduct special studies for reporting to the board, as required by the priorities for the library.
- Continually appraise the effectiveness, and perform an annual written evaluation, of the director.
- Actively seek funding for the library's needs and services.
- Advocate for and promote the library in the community, explaining policies and services whenever called upon by city council, public officials or private citizens.
Agendas & Minutes
Committee ChairMary Jane Neill
Donna L Potts
Library Services Director