Resident Resources

New to Town?Welcome to Pullman! Please use the following resources to help settle in. We're glad  you're here!

You're a vital member of the Pullman community, even if you're not a permanent resident. To improve your living experience, please avail yourself of the following housing resources.

Housing Resources
Affordable Housing
Community Action Center (CAC) provides a variety of affordable housing programs for community members who need access to safe, available, and affordable housing options. Please explore the pages on the CAC website to discover more about their program offerings.
Welcome to the Neighborhood!
Show pride of place by keeping both your residence and neighborhood clean. Those who live around you will appreciate your efforts. Trash pickup, recycling, junk accumulation and littering are addressed in Pullman City Code Chapters 5.01, 5.40 and 5.45. Call Pullman Disposal at 509-334-1914 to set up required trash collection. Too much stuff? Donate to thrift shops. For complaints, call the community improvement representative at 509-338-3300.

Be a good neighbor by getting to know yours. Wave, exchange numbers, host a potluck or participate in a neighborhood event.

Be considerate of your neighbors with your parties, music or other noise. Loud noise from sound systems, televisions, amplified musical instruments, construction equipment, etc. is regulated 24/7 as a nuisance. See Pullman City Code Chapters 5.05 and 8.80 for regulations. Citizens can initiate the enforcement process by calling 509-332-2521 or can call the police operations commander at 509-334-0802 for information.

Protect your pets. To safeguard your four-legged companions, the city licenses dogs and cats and requires vaccinations. For information regarding animals, see Pullman City Code Title 9 or call Code Enforcement at 509-334-0802. To reclaim lost pets or to adopt animals, call Whitman County Humane Society at 509-332-3422.

Park it. Parking in Pullman is easier said than done because space is limited throughout the city, and particularly near the WSU campus. Restrictions are in place for resident safety to allow undeterred emergency vehicle access, and to be fair to those who need to park on city streets. City regulations are consistent with those in effect for the rest of the state. Additional regulations include required permits and posted time limits. For questions, call code enforcement at 509-334-0802. For complaints call 509-332-2521. For WSU parking rules, call 509-335-PARK.

Move it. So that you, your friends and neighbors can safely use the sidewalks throughout the year, do your part to clear them of debris, overhanging vegetation, snow and ice. For information, see Pullman City Code Chapter 11.50, or call the community improvement representative at 509-338-3300.
Safe, Healthy Housing Checklist
Your residence is sweeter still when you enjoy the confidence that it's also safe housing.

If you believe there is an unsafe condition in your house or apartment, contact the property owner, property manager, the city building inspector, or the city fire inspector. For concerns about building code compliance, call 509-338-3220. For fire code compliance, call 509-338-3270.

This is a general safety checklist for houses or apartments. The list is not all-inclusive but is based on a current edition of the Washington State Building Code. The building code requires a building to comply with the codes in effect at the time it was built. The actual rules for the building you live in may be different than this list, that is if your building was built in the 1960s the building should comply with the codes in effect at that time which may not be the same as the codes for building today. In particular, bedrooms in all housing built after 1969 and all bedrooms in older buildings that were created after 1969 are required to have egress windows complying with the building code in effect at that time. However, WAC 212-10 does require that all rental units be protected by a properly installed and maintained smoke detector, regardless of when it was built; the occupant is responsible for maintenance of the smoke detector. If you believe there is an unsafe condition in your house or apartment contact the building owner, their agent, the city building inspector or the city fire inspector.

Safe, Healthy Housing Checklist:
  • The bedroom(s), living room and dining room in an apartment should have openings to the outside to provide fresh air. This could be a door, window or a mechanical ventilation system.
  • The electrical boxes should have a cover over the wires.
  • When you use an electrical outlet or switch it should not spark or shock you.
  • The pipes used to vent the products of combustion (smoke) from the furnace or water heater should have tight joints.
  • Fuel burning furnaces or water heaters need oxygen for combustion to take place. An excellent source of oxygen is the air in a building. The room housing these appliances should be large enough to supply the needed air, have openings into a large room, have openings to the outside of the building, or have air piped directly into the appliance.
  • Fuel burning furnaces or water heaters should not be located in bedrooms or bathrooms.
  • Fuel burning furnaces or water heaters should not be accessed from bedrooms or bathrooms.
  • Furnaces, wall heaters, room heaters, wood stoves, gas stoves and water heaters are required to have a clear space from walls or ceilings. The required clear space is often on a label on the side of the appliance. If there is not a label, you may check with the building inspector or fire inspector for the required clearance.
  • All apartments are required to have a door opening into a hallway or the outside. Generally a dwelling or apartment is only required to have one exit.
  • The support walls and posts should be plumb and straight.
  • The beams supporting the floors or roofs should be level and straight.
  • Bedrooms should have a window or door for occupants to escape or be rescued if the need arises.
  • Each house or apartment should have a kitchen with a sink.
  • Each house or apartment should have a separate bathroom containing a toilet, lavatory, tub or shower.
  • The sink, lavatory and tub or shower should have hot water.
  • The roof and walls should not leak water.
  • An address number or letter should be on each unit.
  • Each house or apartment should have a heating system.
  • The area outside of each bedroom should have a smoke detector.
If you want a printable document, here's the Safe, Healthy Housing Checklist.
Smoke Detectors
  • The area outside of each bedroom should have a smoke detector.
  • Smoke detectors are powered either by battery, household electrical wiring, or wiring with battery backup.
  • Smoke detectors in dwelling units built after December 31, 1980, receive the primary power source from the household electrical wiring.
  • Each sleeping area has at least one smoke detector.
  • Sleeping areas that are separate should have at least one smoke detector per area.
  • The smoke detector battery is operational and the smoke detector is clean.
Recommendations for Renters
For your comfort, safety and security while renting a Pullman residence, the following recommendations may apply:

  • Locate or purchase a fire extinguisher. Fire extinguishers are coded to reflect the type of fire they can put out. Some multipurpose extinguishers can be used on more than one type of fire.
  • Change the batteries in your smoke detectors every six months, and make sure the detectors are clean and functional.
  • Locate all possible exits in case of fire or other emergency. Make and practice an emergency exit plan.
  • Renters’ insurance, available from any local insurance agent, is well worth the small premium. Such insurance can provide protection for your personal property against such perils as fire, theft, and vandalism and may help to protect you in case of a liability lawsuit against you. Some student’s parents may have a homeowners’ insurance policy that could cover some, but not all of your personal items.
  • During winter break, do not shut off your heat source. Instead, set your thermostat to 50º to protect against frozen pipes and potential water leaks from broken pipes.
  • During all absences from your residence, be sure to lock and secure your doors in order to minimize your chances of theft or burglary.
The Landlord-Tenant Act
Most tenants who rent a place to live come under the state of Washington Landlord-Tenant Act, Title 59 RCW

For more consumer information on the Landlord-Tenant Act, go to the website for the Washington State Office of the Attorney General.
Ada Icon