Permits & Licenses

Permits & Licenses
Noise Variance Permits
In accordance with Pullman City Code, it is unlawful for any person to cause or permit any public disturbance noise. Electronically amplified noise is regulated 24-hours a day, and all noise is regulated between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., including amplified voices. Violation of this chapter of City Code may result in a civil infraction and a $500 fine.

Any person, company, or organization wishing to request a noise variance for a specific event shall submit an application form to the Pullman Police Department. Upon review, the Chief of Police (or his designee) may issue a noise variance permit, if the proposed activity will have substantial public participation and is in the public interest.

Noise Variance Permit Application
Animal Licensing
All dogs residing within the Pullman city limits are required to have a current rabies vaccine, which is tracked through mandatory dog licensing.  Any dog 6 months or older,  living within the city limit for more than 30 days, is required to be licensed by the City of Pullman. Animal licenses can be obtained from the Pullman Police Department.

While licenses are not required for cats, licensing is available at the owner's discretion. 

Dog licenses are non-transferable. If ownership of the dog changes, a new license must be purchased.

Licensing Fees:

Sterile Dog/Cat/Ferret: Lifetime Tag  $30
A lifetime license is good for the entire lifetime that an owner has an animal. Proof of current rabies vaccination is required at least every three years in order to maintain a valid license. There is no additional cost to update a lifetime license.

Intact Dog/Cat/Ferret: Annual Tag $60
The owner of an intact dog must purchase an annual license and provide proof of current rabies vaccination each year.

Sterile/Unsterile Dog/Cat/Ferret: Temporary Tag $5
A temporary license is issued to an animal owner whose unlicensed animal has been impounded at the Whitman County Humane Society. This license provides the owner 30 days to comply with vaccination and licensing requirements before an infraction is issued for those violations.

Replacement Tag: $5
Transportation Licensing
In order to apply for a transportation license, each company or TNC is required to submit the following: 

Transportation License Application

Proof of Insurance

No application shall be issued or deemed valid until proof of insurance has been submitted for all employed or affiliated drivers.

Transportation License Affidavit
The taxicab company or TNC must submit a sworn affidavit of compliance with the requirements established by Pullman City Code Chapter 6.94.

WA Registrations and Licenses Document

The taxicab company or TNC must submit a Master Business Application to the WA State Department of Licensing Master License Service. The Master License Service will issue a document imprinted with a proof of an approved registration with the City of Pullman (Pullman City Code Chapter 6.95).  A company may provide documentation demonstrating that this is not required, in lieu of proof.

If you have questions about taxicab or TNC licensing, please contact Code Enforcement at 509-334-0802.
Business Registration
The City of Pullman Business Registration program is a two-step process:

  1. Register your business with the State of Washington Business Licensing Service. Make sure to indicate that you are licensing for a location within the City of Pullman.  A $15 fee will be added to your state licensing renewal. If you have questions regarding this part of the process, please contact the State of Washington Business Licensing Service at 360-705-6741.
  2. OPTIONAL: Complete the City of Pullman's Business Premise Contact Form. Please be sure that the form is completed in its entirety. 
If you have questions about the City of Pullman Business Registration program, please contact Economic Development Manager Sean Miller at 509-338-3168.
Itinerant Vendor Permits
The City of Pullman prohibits itinerant vendors from operating within city limits without first obtaining a permit from the Pullman Police Department (Pullman City Code 8.95.020).

Itinerant Vendor Business Registration

What is an "itinerant vendor"? 
Pullman City Code identifies an itinerant vendor as anyone who sells, trades, offers, or deals in any goods or services by going from house to house or from place to place, or by indiscriminately approaching individuals.  

Applicants registering with the City of Pullman for the purpose of itinerant business shall file with the Pullman Police Department a sworn application in writing, as well as provide sufficient proof of identification. A photograph of each applicant will be taken and attached to the name record for identification purposes.

A one-time, non-refundable application fee of $35 is due at the time of application (Pullman City Council Resolution R-76-13). 

For definitions and exemptions, see Pullman City Code Chapter 8.95.  

Active Itinerant Vendor Permits:
DEBELLA:  Home Improvement  (Expires 07/02/2024)
Residential Rental Property Registration
Per Pullman City Code 6.98, owners of residential rental properties are required to register the property with the City of Pullman. 

Rental Property Registration Form

Registration Fee Schedule

Initial: $15
Renewal: $15

Rental property owners and managers now have access to email alerts when law enforcement responds to a registered address! Create an account to view or receive notifications regarding incidents at your properties. 

If you have questions about rental registration, please contact Code Enforcement Supervisor Elizabeth Oje at 509-334-0802.
Concealed Pistol Licensing
Citizens who live within the Pullman city limits, and those who live out-of-state, are eligible to apply for a Washington State Concealed Pistol License at the Pullman Police Department. 

New license applications are accepted by appointment only. Please call 509-334-0802 for scheduling. An application form is required, and all original license applicants will be fingerprinted at the time of application. This process takes approximately 20 minutes, start to finish. 

Renewal and replacement CPL applications, which do not require fingerprinting, may be processed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Upon approval, a laminated permit should arrive by mail within 30 days.

CPL Application

License Fees:

Original License: $49.25
Renewal: $32
Late Renewal: $42
Replacement: $10

Please call ahead to confirm that staff is available for fingerprinting.

CPL applications may be denied or revoked due to prohibiting violations. Money paid is non-refundable.
Residential Restricted Parking Permits
Restricted residential parking areas require valid resident or visitor parking permits, which allow for parking of a motor vehicle on a public street within a restricted zone.  

Only those who live within the restricted parking area may apply for a permit. The following items are required:

  • Current vehicle registration for each motor vehicle
  • Copy of the lease agreement or current utility bill showing the zone address
  • Photo I.D.
No more than (1) residential parking permit and (1) visitor permit will be issued to a single address.  Drivers with one or more unpaid parking ticket(s) are not eligible to apply for residential or visitor parking permit(s) until infractions have been settled.

Residential permits: $10
Visitor permits: $5

Residential and visitor permits expire on July 31 of each of calendar year. Parking fees will not be pro-rated, and are non-refundable.

Street Use Permits
It is unlawful for any person or group to hold a public meeting or event that will obstruct any sidewalk, street, alley, or public place, without first obtaining a permit from the City of Pullman. 

Permits may be granted for events that will not unduly obstruct automobile or pedestrian traffic, impede emergency access, or endanger the safety of the public. 

A violation of Pullman City Code may result in a civil infraction of $500. 

Street Use Permit Application
Ada Icon